.HDMP and .MDMP files

Just a quickie – the rule is blog what you know, but I figure my speculation might be good enough here.

A friend gave me an HDMP file and asked what I could make of it. After the usual “I could make a hat! Or a brooch! Or a dinosaur!” type stuff, I realized it wouldn’t open anyway.

In my experience, most .HDMPs come with matching .MDMP files. I think of these as Minidumps (in the “real” mini sense – just information about threads and thread stacks), and Heap dumps (everything else the process knew or cared about in User mode).

This HDMP wasn’t openable in the debugger directly, but if its corresponding MDMP was present in the same folder at the same time, I reckon it woulda.

The feared WER-wolf produces these files in pairs (that’s Windows Error Reporting, kids, don’t be too scared, except that it invalidates everything we used to know about AEDebug registry keys and similar, but that’s another story for another time), and that’s how I’ve analyzed them in the past. I remember hearing of some sort of merge operation that needed to happen between M and H dumps, but I’m reasonably certain I haven’t bothered with that (I assume I’m lazy by default), so I think the debugger just does it for ya.

Now I’ve written that, I’m going to go look for references to support my assertions!

949180    How to create a user-mode process dump file in Windows Server 2008
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;949180

(At the bottom – mini and heap dumps – yay me!). Think that’s enough for today. Hugs!

What does it mean when there’s no “broken page” icon in IE8?

I was just catching up on some of my RSS feeds, and noticed that one of the pages I was at didn’t have a broken page icon, but wasn’t working quite right (some broken javascript in the photos area, I’m guessing… I’ll investigate that next).

image

I wondered what that meant, so fired up Fiddler2 to have a look.

The Headers collection didn’t include the compatibility header (X-UA-Compatible: IE=EmulateIE7 or similar):

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Length: 77144
Via: 1.1 MYPROXY
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:42:24 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-AspNet-Version: 2.0.50727
Cache-Control: private

But the META tag was present (link):

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd xhtml 1.0 transitional//en"
    "http://www.w3.org/tr/xhtml1/dtd/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
  <head><meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" /><title>
    Spied: New Mazda3

So: the page is being told to render in IE7 Standards Mode (forced, as opposed to IE=EmulateIE7, which would behave as IE7 did). This makes the toggle compatibility mode button moot, because the site has chosen their mode explicitly.

Wonder if that’s the problem… Time to investigate with the developer toolbar, I think…

(Update: nup, document mode didn’t fix it – Script Debugging needed to be un-disabled in IE, and then the debugger showed me it was happening in motiongallery.js. I’ve lost interest now 🙂 )